Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
China, SAR Hong Kong
Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
4,443,082 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
- Information about HKEX’s efforts in promoting sustainable development of the marketplace is available in its annual Corporate Social Responsibility reports and the Corporate Social Responsibility section of the HKEX website.
ESG reporting required as a listing rule
- Comply or explain as of 2016 - if the issuer does not report on one or more of the provisions, it must provide reasons in its ESG report.
- In 2019, An update to the Guidance Letter (HKEX-GL86-16) sets out expected disclosure on ESG matters and requiring disclosures on gender diversity in the listing documents of new applicants (source)
- Listing requirement can be found in the ESG Reporting Guide, Appendix 27 to the Main Board Listing Rules, here.
- Consultation paper and conclusions on ESG reporting guide found here.
- Changes to the Corporate Governance Code made on 1 January 2019 to strengthen the transparency and accountability of the board and/or nomination committee and election of directors, including Independent Non-Executive Directors (INEDS); improve transparency of INEDs' relationship with issuers; enhance criteria for assessing independence of potential INED candidates; promote board diversity, including gender diversity; and require greater divident policy transparency. (source)
- Appendix 14 Corporate Governance Code and Corporate Governance Report
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
- All resources found on the exchanges ESG webpage.
- Environmental, Social and Governance Reporting Guide (Appendix 27 to the Rules Governing the Listing of Securities on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited)
- Guidance materials are available on the dedicated Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) webpage of the HKEX Market website, which include:
- Exchange Publications on ESG
- How to Prepare An ESG Report
- ESG Resource Hyperlinks
- Exchange to Strengthen ESG Guide in its Listing Rules (21 Dec 2015)
- The Exchange publishes Consultation Conclusions on Environmental, Social and Governance Reporting Guide (31 Aug 2012)
- Presentation Materials
Offers ESG related training
- The exchange has launched an e-training course, "ESG Governance and Reporting", which explains the board's leadership role in ESG matters and covers the following six topics: what is ESG, and why it is important; board's role in ESG governance, why report on ESG, essential elements in an ESG report, details on ESG reporting, ESG dsiclosure by IPO applicants. The e-training takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. (source)
- The Exchange from time to time provides training and gives presentations to promote ESG reporting. HKEX representatives also give presentations at the events organised by various non-governmental organisations and professional organisations to identify the latest trends and share practical advice in relation to ESG reporting.
- The Director Training Programme 2017/2018 also covers the topic of ESG reporting.
Market covered by sustainability-related index
Has sustainability bond listing segment
- However, as at 31 March 2018, there were 10 green bonds listed on the Exchange.
Has SME listing platform
- Growth Enterprise Market, since 1999
- HKEX has been rated highly and awarded by both local and overseas rating agencies or professional institutions, in recognition of its achievement in corporate governance and CSR. More details are available on the HKEX Group website.
- As part of the Exchange’s ongoing initiative to raise the overall standard of ESG performance and disclosures among issuers, the Exchange has conducted market consultations on proposed changes to the ESG reporting requirements under the Listing Rules.
- In addition, the Exchange conducts periodic review of issuers’ ESG disclosures and publishes its findings on the HKEX Market website.
- In November 2017, the Exchange published a Consultation Paper on Review of the Corporate Governance Code and related Listing Rules. The Consultation includes further measures to strengthen board diversity. The Consultation Conclusions paper will be published in 2018.
Organizational model of stock exchange
- Listed company for profit; demutualized in 2000
- HKEX is a recognized exchange controller under the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Chapter 571 of the Laws of Hong Kong). The Exchange is responsible under statute for ensuring, so far as reasonably practicable, that the Hong Kong markets are fair, orderly and informed (the Exchange’s statutory duty). The Securities and Futures Commission performs a lead role in market regulation and certain areas of listing regulation, and a complementary role through the exercise of its statutory powers by providing investigation and enforcement in cases involving corporate misconduct. Details of the regulatory framework of Hong Kong's securities market are available on the HKEX Market website.
About the stock exchange
Location: Hong Kong
- As one of the largest financial market operators in the world, HKEX and its subsidiaries provide world-class facilities for trading and clearing securities and derivatives in equities, commodities, fixed income and currency. Headquartered in Hong Kong, the Group has offices in London, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Singapore.
- In Hong Kong, HKEX is a recognised exchange controller under the Securities and Futures Ordinance. Through its subsidiaries, HKEX operates the securities and derivatives markets and is the frontline regulator of listed issuers in Hong Kong. It also provides clearing and settlement services, depository and nominee services, and information services across multiple products and asset classes.
- In collaboration with the Shanghai and Shenzhen stock exchanges, HKEX operates Stock Connect, a mutual market access programme which gives investors in the Hong Kong and Mainland securities markets access to the other market. In London, HKEX indirectly owns The London Metal Exchange (“LME”), an exchange for the trading of futures and options contracts on base and other metals, and LME Clear Limited which provides clearing and settlement services for all exchange contracts traded on the LME.
- HKEX was listed in Hong Kong in 2000. More information about HKEX and its subsidiaries is available on the HKEX Group website.
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|
|Government Of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region||5.38%|