For more information, please contact the SSE team.
Date: Wednesday, 9 November 2022
Time: 17:00 -18:30 (local time, subject to change)
Organizers: UN SSE, IOSCO, UNFCCC
Location: UN Climate Change Global Innovation Hub (UGIH) pavilion
located in the Blue Zone C, Pavilion 93, of the Sharm el-Sheikh International Convention Centre
The climate crisis has the potential to be a major disrupter for society as a whole, including financial markets. Exchanges can play a crucial part in tackling the climate crisis and helping create climate-positive financial markets. In this COP27 Leaders Roundtable, exchange CEOs are joined by leaders from worlds of security market regulation, standard setting bodies and civil society. The session will discuss the role of exchanges in tackling the climate crisis, highlighting specific initiatives from markets around the world.
Key topics to be addressed include the role of exchanges in:
- Helping align climate-related disclosures to global standards, including providing bespoke guidance and training to their issuers.
- Innovating new climate-aligned products and services such as Voluntary Carbon Markets (VCMs).
- Ensuring green finance products (like green bonds) better serve the financing needs of emerging markets.
- Supporting the Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net-Zero and using their market influence to accelerate the transition to zero emission economies.
You can watch the recorded session here.
- Anthony MillerCoordinator of UN SSE initiativeUNCTAD
- Jean Paul ServaisChair of the BoardIOSCO
- Ndidi Nnoli-EdozienBoard MemberInternational Sustainability Standards Board
- Rami El-DokanyCEOThe Egyptian Stock Exchange
- Loh Boon ChyeCEOSingapore Exchange
- Nandini SukumarCEOWorld Federation of Exchanges
- Rodrigo BuenaventuraChairCNMV
- Mary SchapiroVice Chair for Global Public PolicyBloomberg
- Mohamed Farid SalehVice Chair of the BoardIOSCO
- James ZhanChair SSE Initiative, Director, Investment & Enterprise DivisionUNCTAD
- Eric UsherHeadUNEP-FI
About the SSE
The SSE initiative is a UN Partnership Programme organised by UNCTAD, the UN Global Compact, UNEP FI and the PRI. The SSE’s mission is to provide a global platform for exploring how exchanges, in collaboration with investors, companies (issuers), regulators, policymakers and relevant international organizations, can enhance performance on ESG (environmental, social and corporate governance) issues and encourage sustainable investment, including the financing of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The SSE seeks to achieve this mission through an integrated programme of conducting evidence-based policy analysis, facilitating a network and forum for multi-stakeholder consensus-building, and providing technical assistance and advisory services.