Training on the IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards
About the training
In June 2023, the International Financial Reporting Standards Foundation (IFRS) ushered in a new era of corporate sustainability-related disclosure to capital markets worldwide with the launch of IFRS S1, “General Requirements for Sustainability-related Financial Information” and IFRS S2 “Climate-related Disclosures.” The IFRS Sustainability Standards were developed by the International Sustainability Standards Board (“ISSB”). In order to help capital market participants to implement the new standards and to build capacity for consistent, global uptake, the UN SSE has partnered with IFC and the IFRS Foundation to provide training free-of charge with UN SSE Partner Exchanges.
- Hosted by SSE Partner Exchanges
- Facilitated by experts from the IFRS Foundation and UN SSE
- Delivered online with interactive activities and direct interaction with expert facilitators
- Q&A open for live interaction throughout the training
- Training includes 3.5 hours of live facilitation and a homework exercise for extended learning
- Certified by CPD UK
Listed companies or companies working with or providing products and services to listed companies, financial-sector organizations, regulatory authorities and standard setting organizations should encourage employees working in the following areas to participate:
- Governance and leadership
- Strategy development and implementation
- Risk management
- Accounting and finance
- Sustainability and climate strategy
This training program has been developed to build participants’ understanding of the foundations of the IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards and guides them through a four-step process of preparing, aligning, implementing and communicating sustainability-related information. The training includes step-by-step practical guidance to help participants build the foundations needed to identify climate and sustainability-related issues, integrate them into strategy decision making and governance processes, and measure progress and resilience.
Download the PDF info- sheet here:
How to participate
The training program is delivered via stock exchanges around the world. The exchange hosts the training, convening its local market participants and other relevant stakeholders, while the UN SSE and IFRS deliver the training. All at no cost to the exchange or the training participants.
Stock exchanges and regulatory authorities that wish to host training for their market on this topic can contact the SSE team directly.
If you are not working for a stock exchange or regulatory authority and you are interested in this training, please reach out directly to your local exchange and ask them to host a training. You may also wish to join the SSE’s mailing list to learn about any training programs we hold that are open to the general public.
SSE Tookit on Sustainability-Related Financial Disclosures
The UN SSE, together with its partners, developed a toolkit to support stock exchanges and their market participants in the implementation of the IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards. The toolkit includes training tools that are designed to complement the SSE Academy’s training program on the IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards. The SSE will continue to work with its partners to add new tools as necessary to provide ongoing support to stock exchanges and their markets on this topic.
Visit the toolkit here.
Training handout and homework
Participants of the training will receive a training pack which includes a handout of training slides as well as bonus slides with additional explanatory content. Participants will also receive a homework assignment that they are encouraged to complete after the live training course. Guidance on completing this homework assignment is integrated throughout the live training.
Technical Assistance: The SSE works with stock exchanges to implement guidance on sustainability reporting through donor-sponsored technical assistance. For more information, please contact the SSE team directly
“Stock exchanges play a crucial role in efforts to raise the bar in the quality of sustainability-related disclosures. We are grateful to the UN SSE for their partnership in developing this training that will directly support the ability of companies to provide investors with consistent, comparable decision-useful disclosures in accordance with the ISSB Standards.“
“We were delight to host this important workshop on applying the new IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards. Participants at the event from our market really benefited from the depth of experience and expertise of the superb trainers who explained the concepts and shared their knowledge in a very practical way”
“The Training on Climate Disclosure delivered by the UN SSE to the stakeholders of Chittagong Stock Exchange (CSE), Bangladesh were really excellent and the trainers were outstanding. Our participants have learned a lot on this new topic and they will benefit immensely. We hope to get more such training through the UN SSE to contribute more towards Sustainable Development in our Capital Market. We wish all the best to the UN SSE and its superbly excellent Team Members”
“In the context of the challenges we face as a result of the climate crisis, the Santiago Stock Exchange encourages and commits to this type of initiatives, which are intended to provide tools to those who lead organizations to be able to identify and explain the associated risks to climate change, and, therefore, address them, mitigate them and produce significant changes that allow sustainable development of companies and the capital market.”
This training program has been made possible through the financial contributions made by SSE Official Supporters.
Major Project Supporters
Become an Official Supporter of the SSE
If your organisation would like to become an SSE Official Supporter, please reach out directly to the SSE team: info@SSEinitiative.org
If you would like to become a Major Projects Supporter, the SSE team will set up a call with you to discuss project details and funding opportunities. It is common to fund an existing project that has no resource allocation yet, but it is also possible to discuss new areas of collaboration.
If you would like to join our group of Mission Supporters, we will send you a personalised invoice for 10,000 USD. As soon as we have received the funds, we will add your logo to our list of Official Supporters and share with you your Official SSE Supporter logo.
We will also ask for a quote from your organisation to use on our Official Supporters website to showcase your participation in the Official Supporters programme. If you are already a UN SSE member, we will link your logo to your factsheet, so that your exchange’s page gets more visibility. If you are a non-exchange stakeholder, we will ask you to fill in a short questionnaire, so that we can introduce your organisation or company to our network and show what role you play in supporting sustainable finance.
Benefits of supporting the SSE
The SSE is the largest network to communicate exchanges’ sustainability activities in various ways, including:
- Direct communication with policymakers: As an initiative launched by the UN Secretary-General, the SSE regularly convenes policymakers from securities regulators to ministers of finance to communicate the challenges and successes of exchanges in promoting sustainable finance.
- UN flagship reports: Trends and updates on stock exchange sustainability efforts are featured annually in the United Nations World Investment Report.
- SSE Academy: The SSE provides market education programmes at no cost to exchanges to assist them in their efforts to keep market participants up to date on the latest standards and trends in ESG disclosure and sustainable finance.
- Online database: The SSE maintains the largest online database of stock exchange ESG activities. This is the most visited page on the SSE website and widely used as the authoritative source for exchange activities on sustainable finance.
- SSE events: The SSE organises its flagship event which happens every two years, the SSE Global Dialogue, as well as other national or regional events. We also work with stock exchanges to assist them in the development of their own events and workshops and we organise sessions at other global forums such as the UN Climate Conferences (COPs).Social media: SSE tweets have received over 1 million impressions and our Linkedin page has over 3,300 followers.
- Newsletter: Approximately 3,000 subscribers receive a monthly highlights newsletter covering stock exchange and securities regulator sustainability activities
- “Exchange in Focus”: Articles published on the SSE website highlight your exchange’s or organisation’s leadership and enable exchanges to illustrate their sustainability action on the ground.
In addition to enabling the SSE to strengthen and broaden its activities in providing technical assistance, research, and consensus-building activities for its members, SSE Mission and Major Project Supporters also receive a number of unique benefits:
- Official recognition of your status as an SSE Official Supporter on the SSE website.
- Major Projects Supporters who are funding a database, publication or event, will have their logo and or name appear on the relevant page and or product.
- Official Supporters will be recognized through a number of the SSE’s media platforms including social media and in its monthly newsletter. In addition, your logo will be shown at the end of every SSE Quarterly Webinar
- Members of the Official Supporters program will have the first opportunity to reserve a seat at an SSE event and will be offered speaking opportunities at most SSE events and other activities. This includes the Global Dialogue and the UN Climate Conference. We will also invite your CEO to be interviewed for SSE TV (in-person at our studio on the NYSE trading floor or virtually).
- A yearly impact report will be shared with all SSE’s Official Supporters combined with an annual consultation call to share SSE work plans, results and impacts.