For more information, please contact the SSE team.
The SSE also launched a companion tool, an Action Plan “How stock exchanges can make markets climate resilient”. The Action Plan was developed alongside the Model Guidance to support stock exchanges in their efforts to further enhance market-wide climate resiliency.
The event began with a Virtual Market Open Ceremony at the London Stock Exchange, followed by a high-level roundtable discussion with Mark Carney (UN Special Envoy for Finance and Climate Action), David Schwimmer (CEO, LSEG), and Leila Fourie (CEO, JSE), moderated by James Zhan (Chair, SSE), on the role of stock exchanges in the transition to a low-carbon economy. It will finish with a technical presentation that walks participants through the Model Guidance and the Action Plan, explaining how these tools can be used by stock exchanges around the world.
The official launch was on 29 June 2021 at 09:00 Geneva Time (Central European Time). Watch the event recording below.
High-level session Moderator
- James ZhanDirector, Investment & Enterprise; Chair, UN SSE InitiativeUNCTAD
- Mark CarneyUN Special Envoy on Climate Action and FinanceUnited Nations
- Leila FourieChief Executive OfficerJohannesburg Stock Exchange
- David SchwimmerChief Executive OfficerLondon Stock Exchange Group
Technical session moderator
- Anthony MillerCoordinator, UN SSE initiativeUNCTAD
- Shameela EbrahimChief Sustainability OfficerJohannesburg Stock Exchange
- Tiffany GrabskiSenior SpecialistUN SSE
- David HarrisGroup Head of Sustainable BusinessLondon Stock Exchange Group
About the SSE
The SSE initiative is a UN Partnership Programme organised by UNCTAD, the UN Global Compact, UNEP FI and the PRI. The SSE’s mission is to provide a global platform for exploring how exchanges, in collaboration with investors, companies (issuers), regulators, policymakers and relevant international organizations, can enhance performance on ESG (environmental, social and corporate governance) issues and encourage sustainable investment, including the financing of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The SSE seeks to achieve this mission through an integrated programme of conducting evidence-based policy analysis, facilitating a network and forum for multi-stakeholder consensus-building, and providing technical assistance and advisory services.