Saudi Stock Exchange (Tadawul)
Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
502,000 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
ESG reporting required as a listing rule
- New corporate governance rules issued by the Saudi Capital Market Authority (CMA) were adopted in February 2017. The rules enhance the rights of shareholders and board members and provide greater clarity and more transparency around determining commercial strategic planning, roles, responsibilities and oversight of corporate entities and third parties.
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
- Has committed to publishing a guidance in 2019
Offers ESG related training
Market covered by sustainability-related index
Has sustainability bond listing segment
Has SME listing platform
- Parallel market - Nomu
- All of Tadawul’s sustainability work is underpinned by honoring its national responsibilities of adopting regulatory and market best practices, fostering market literacy and investor protection and delivering on its socio-economic responsibilities. Tadawul has a strong commitment to reducing its footprint on the natural environment by better utilizing resources in order to achieve a higher level of efficiency and sustainability. One environmental initiative in Tadawul is the development of a Recycling & Waste Management Program.
- Annual Report 2017
Organizational model of stock exchange
- Unlisted private company for profit
Government (Statutory) Model.
- The Saudi Exchange has regulatory power over the following rules & regulations which have been approved by CMA: The Updated Securities Depository Center Rules, Securities Borrowing and Lending Regulations, Short Selling Regulations, The Updated Exchange and Centre Procedures, Orders Aggregation Accounts Regulations, and Listing Rules. You can see the Rules & Regulations here.
About the stock exchange
Location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- On the 19th of March 2007, the Council of Ministers approved the formation of The Saudi Stock Exchange (Tadawul). This was in accordance with Article-20 of the Capital Market Law establishing Tadawul as a joint stock company. Tadawul is the sole entity authorized in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to act as the Securities Exchange (the Exchange). It mainly carries out listing and trading in securities, as well as deposit, transfer, clearing, settlement, and registry of ownership of securities traded on the Exchange. The legal status, duties, and responsibilities of the Exchange and Depository Center are explicitly defined in the Capital Market Law (CML) issued by Royal Decree Number (M/30), dated on June 16, 2003. The Exchange is also the official source of all market information.
- Tadawul is an affiliate member of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO), the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE), and the Arab Federation of Exchanges (AFE).
- Website: www.tadawul.com.sa
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|
|Government of Saudi Arabia Public Investment Arm||100%|