Stock Exchange of Thailand
Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
595,373 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
ESG reporting required as a listing rule
- In Thailand, the Securities and Exchange Commission mandates sustainability reporting. (See SEC's Sustainability Development Road Map for Listed Companies, May 2014, pg 43).
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
- Guidelines for Sustainability Reporting (in Thai) released in 2010.
- Apart from the publications, SET has produced newsletter 'SD Focus' as key communication channels between the Exchange and listed companies, to keep them abreast with the up-and-coming sustainability-related trends in the global business world.
In addition, a series of guidance documents and manuals can be found on SET's Social Responsibility Center (SR Center) and Corporate Governance Center (CG Center).
Offers ESG related training
- SET has regularly organized seminars and training activities to promote sustainability management, ESG reporting and responsible investing. Some examples of the past events are shown here and here.
- SET, in partnership with BSR, recently hosted Climate Risk Workshop to raise awareness of climate change issues and related risks to business and promote climate resilience among Thai listed companies.
- In addition, SET regularly provides sustainability training courses all year round for Thai listed companies at all sizes (free-of-charge). Courses include:
- Preliminary to Corporate Sustainability (introduction to corporate sustainability)
- Corporate Sustainability Strategy Workshops (how to develop and embed sustainability strategies into normal business strategies)
- Sustainability Risk and Materiality Analysis (how to analyze ESG risk and conduct materiality analysis)
- Sustainability Evaluation and Data Management (how to track and monitor sustainability performance)
- Sustainability Reporting (how to disclose ESG information using GRI framework and SDGs mapping)
Market covered by sustainability-related index
- SET is currently in the process of developing an ESG index.
Since 2015, SET has announced “Thailand Sustainability Investment (THSI)”, a list of Thai companies with outstanding performance on ESG aspects. The list is annually reviewed on a voluntary basis. The 2017 list can be found here.
- On top of this, SET also gives SET Sustainability Awards to the most outstanding firms on the list.
- SET continues to promote a better understanding of sustainability indices among Thai investors.
- SET encourages listed companies with large market capitalization to be included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI).
Has sustainability bond listing segment
Has SME listing platform
- Market for Alternative Investment (mai), since 1998
Organizational model of stock exchange
- A non-profit organization, set up under the Securities Exchange of Thailand Act B.E. 2535 (1992) ("Act.")
- The Securities and Exchange Act of B.E. 2535 (1992) does not prescribe and allow the SET to raise any fund from the public for the purpose of the shareholder structure. As a result, the SET is unable to issue any share to be held by any party.
Limited Exchange SRO Model
- The Act stipulates the SEC as the regulator of the Thai capital market, including both the primary and secondary markets. The SET Board of Governors has the power and duty to formulate policies, supervise SET operations, and perform any other functions in accordance with the Act.
About the stock exchange
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
- Vision: To make the capital market “work” for everyone. The capital market is an integral tool for economic growth, and should not be privileged to only some. Hence the SET works hard to make the capital market benefit all stakeholders both directly and indirectly, in the belief that good business growth will lead to national strength and this in turn leads to the betterment of society.
- To plant state-of-the-art financial Platform Development that is both innovative and accessible to our customers locally, regionally and globally.
- To innovatively grow Product Development that is not only relevant to market needs but also resonate with the sustainability of future growth.
- To foster People Development to ensure that our people will be best equipped with business competencies and professional integrity.
- To implant an Inclusive Growth Approach that will enable us to perform as the best business partners and social supporters.
- SET’s key operations include securities listing, trading, clearing and settlement, depository, securities trading and information disclosure supervision, market participant protection and information dissemination. SET has actively engaged its stakeholders in promoting sustainability management in the Thai capital market ecosystem to benefit market participants and the general public. As the center of securities trading, SET has been promoting long-term fundraising among businesses to ensure corporate competitive advantage and benefit the Thai economic growth. In addition, SET has continued to develop financial literacy to enhance well-being of people in society.
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|