Botswana Stock Exchange
Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
4,461 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
ESG reporting required as a listing rule
- However the new BSE Listing Requirements will require Listed Companies to adopt the Botswana Corporate Code of Governance, and this Code prescribes that companies should publish Integrated Reports.
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
Offers ESG related training
- 24 June 2019 BSE hosted a responsible investing and ESG workshop
Market covered by sustainability-related index
Has sustainability bond listing segment
Has SME listing platform
- Tshipidi SME Board, since 2017
- BSE with the UNDP commissioned a research project in February 2018, which focused on sustainability practices in their listed companies to shape the future development of sustainability guidance documents, and provide a starting point for engaging companies on meeting the SDGs. Past Annual Reports
Organizational model of stock exchange
- BSE is a statutory body created by an Act of Parliament of 1994. It is governed by the BSE Act pending the commencement of the Securities Act which will replace the BSE Act. Pursuant to the commencement of the BSE Transition Act in December 2015, the BSE has commenced the process of demutualization.
- BSE is regulated by NBFIRA. Although the BSE promulgates the Listing Requirements and the Members Rules, NBFIRA gives approval of the Rules and Regulations.
About the stock exchange
Location: Gaborone, Botswana
- The Botswana Stock Exchange is Botswana’s national stock exchange. It has the responsibility of operating and regulating the equities and fixed interest securities market. Formally established in 1989, the BSE continues to be pivotal to Botswana’s financial system, and in particular the capital market, as an avenue on which the government, quasi- government and the private sector can raise debt and equity capital. The BSE plays host to the most preeminent companies doing business in Botswana. These companies represent a spectrum of industries and commerce, from Banking and financial services to Wholesaling and Retailing, Tourism and Information Technology.
- To date, the BSE is one of Africa’s best performing stock exchanges, averaging a 24% aggregate return in the past decade. This has allowed the BSE to be the third largest stock exchange in terms of market capitalization in Southern Africa.
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|