Number of listed companies
Domestic market capitalization
150,506 million US$
SSE Partner Exchange
Has annual sustainability report
- Since 2017, no separate sustainability report has been published and information on ESG performance and goals is presented to the exchange's stakeholders through “Annual Integrated Reports”. Prepared in accordance with the International Integrated Reporting Framework (<IR Framework>), Annual Integrated Reports provide information on Borsa İstanbul's sustainable business model and the value it creates for its stakeholders, with an integrated thinking approach. You can reach the latest annual integrated report here: https://www.borsaistanbul.com/
docs/default-source/kurumsal- yonetim/borsa-2018-annual- report.pdf?sfvrsn=12
ESG reporting required as a listing rule
Has written guidance on ESG reporting
Offers ESG related training
- 18 June 2019: Bell Ceremony and Conference on Corporate Reporting and Investor Expectations in collaboration with Integrated Reporting Turkey Network (https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=Je_U1LIZAAo), as well as a workshop on best practices on integrated reporting.
- 9 April 2019: Hosted the Workshop on “Independent Audit in Corporate Governance and Sustainability Processes” in collaboration with Ibn Haldun University (http://www.tkyd.org/tr/
faaliyetler-haberler-panel- kurumsal-yonetim-ve- surdurulebilirlik-surecinde- bagimsiz-denetim-9-nisan-2019. html)
- 3 April 2019: Workshop on “PRI methodology on ESG integration and best practices in emerging markets” in collaboration with UNPRI, Turkish Institutional Investment Managers’ Association (TKYD) and Emerging Markets for Responsible Investing (EMRI) (https://www.borsaistanbul.
com/en/news/2019/04/04/pri- workshop-and-esg-integration- programme-held-in-partnership- with-borsa-istanbul)
- 8 February 2019: Hosted the training on “Utilizing Public Disclosure Platform in Corporate Governance Compliance Reporting” together with Capital Markets Board of Turkey and EBRD (program attached (in Turkish only)
- 13 November 2017, Borsa İstanbul hosted an opening-bell ceremony for companies that prepare integrated reports and also a meeting for sharing integrated reporting experience.
- Chairs Sustainability Platform that aims to create a sharing network which enables result-oriented and effective realization of the sustainability activities and powerful discussions on future joint steps in the field of sustainability. The 9th edition of the Sustainability Platform rountable meetings was held on February 28th, 2018 in Borsa İstanbul.
- Supports Annual Sustainability Finance Forum organized jointly by the Business World and Sustainable Development Society Turkey (SKD Türkiye), United Nations Environmental Program Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) and Global Compact Turkey. Borsa İstanbul hosted IVth Sustainability Finance Forum on May 11, 2016.
Market covered by sustainability-related index
Has sustainability bond listing segment
Has SME listing platform
- Emerging Companies Market, since 2009
Organizational model of stock exchange
- Demutualized for profit; demutualized in 2012
Government (Statutory) Model
- The Capital Markets Board of Turkey dictates the operational principles of capital markets in Turkey. In addition, the organization regulates and supervises public companies, listed companies and several capital market institutions including Turkish exchanges. However, Borsa Istanbul has the authority to regulate its own market, listed companies and financial products. This results in a limited SRO model but due to the regulatory authority's involvement, the exchange itself has little regulatory power.
About the stock exchange
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
- Following the enactment of the Capital Markets Law at the end of 2012, Borsa İstanbul A.Ş. was founded as a result of the demutualization of Istanbul Stock Exchange, horizontal integration of the exchanges of Turkey trading various asset classes and their merger under the roof of Borsa İstanbul. Currently, Borsa İstanbul is the only licensed operator of capital markets in Turkey, regulated and supervised by the Capital Markets Board of Turkey, Turkish capital markets regulator. Borsa İstanbul provides a fair, transparent, and efficient environment for the trading of a wide variety of securities including equities, exchange traded funds, warrants, certificates, government bonds, sukuk, corporate bonds, repo and reverse-repo agreements, foreign securities (Turkish Treasury Eurobonds), derivatives and selected commodities. Borsa İstanbul is aiming to be the leading integrated marketplace bringing together investors and ideas, to create a marketplace that gives investors stability and confidence in their investment transactions, to promote a diverse business incorporating both international and Islamic finance products, to embrace the digital transformation and innovation, and to facilitate economic growth.
|Ownership of Exchange (Shares >4% only)||Share|
|Türkiye Wealth Fund||80.6%|
|European Bank of Reconstruction and Development||10%|
|Others (brokerage houses, banks, precious metal and foreign exchange companies and other companies)||5.83%|